Resources, Printables, and more
Find additional support to practice and teach Correcting Behaviors at the resources link below.
Where to begin
1. Watch and review the lesson video and memorize each step to this skill.
2. Complete the Finding a Meaningful Reason worksheet. This will help you with step 6 of the skill.
3. Review the Activities and Games section on this page and choose one or two activities you think would be helpful in teaching your child this skill.
4. Print out the steps to the skill for your child and for easy reference. If you need help, complete this Observe and Describe Worksheet you will know what to say during every step of the skill. Depending on the age of your child, download the child or teen worksheet.
5. Go over the steps to the skill with your child and engage them with an activity or game to learn the skill. Keep the printout available for easy reference.
6. Practice the steps of the skill as often as possible during the activity. Continue to practice the steps as a role-play as well if possible.
7. Set up a time to practice this skill again later the same day or the next day. Continue to practice using the skill often, even after your child has mastered it. It is always helpful to practice to reinforce the steps to the skill.
Print out a copy of the steps to Correcting Behaviors for easy reference.
Suggestions for parents when teaching this skill
Be calm and patient. Your reaction will set the mood for how your child will react to learning new ways to behave.
You can also show empathy by telling your child this is a new skill for you to learn and that you both have to work on getting it right.
Be sure to work through “Finding a Meaningful Reason” worksheet. This will help you determine what to do in step 6 of this skill. This is very important.
Expect some mistakes during the practice. This is normal. Work through them.
Continue to practice this skill until it becomes second nature. Practice it every time you see a behavior that needs to be corrected. Practice makes perfect.
Ready to go further?
Sign up for the Smarter Parenting Club and gain access to additional resources, and most importantly, individualized coaching to assist you with effective communication with your child and much more.