Resources, Printables, and more
Find additional support to practice and teach Preventive Teaching at the resources link below.
Where to begin
This skill needs to taught during a neutral time BEFORE a situation arises.
- Watch and understand the concepts taught in the video lesson.
- Review the Activities and Games section and choose an activity or game that will fit your child. Choose a few if necessary.
- Print out the steps for Preventive Teaching for easy reference.
- Introduce the skill to your child by talking to them about it and doing the activity. Use the print out for easy reference.
- Practice the steps to the skill as often as possible.
- Review the activity with your child and talk about other instances where you can use the skill with them. Choose a specific situation where your child needs to learn a new behavior and practice that situation often.
- Practice the skill regularly and whenever possible to incorporate it into your child’s everyday routine.
Suggestions for parents when teaching this skill
- First, practice this skill using situations that are easy. Move to more difficult situations as your child becomes more adept at using the skill.
- You may need to simplify what you want your child to do by focusing on one thing at a time.
- Be aware of your child’s ability to tolerate certain situations and adjust it accordingly. If your child has a short attention span, focus on behaviors that fit the time they can tolerate until they master it. Once they can do that, incrementally increase the time.
- Make the practice/role-play as real as possible. If possible, role-play in the locations where the new behavior is needed.
- Practice, practice, practice. Practicing helps you and your child follow through easily.
We have some additional information about Preventive Teaching on our BLOG.
Ready to go further?
Sign up for the Smarter Parenting Club and gain access to additional resources, and most importantly, individualized coaching to assist you with effective communication with your child and much more.